758_Nai elen siluva lyenna_: Card signed, inscribed by Tolkien

    Nov 21, 2004
      A card signed and inscribed in Quenya by Tolkien was recently auctioned
      on eBay. You can view this item at:

      <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2286246993>

      The inscription reads:

      _nai elen siluva lyenna_

      which apparently means, 'May a star shine upon you (sg.)'.

      Helge Fauskanger refers to an identical inscription in Lesson 15 of his
      Quenya course (<www.uib.no/People/hnohf/less-d.rtf>), but it was
      apparently appended to a letter (dated Jan. 16, 1968), not to a note
      card (and this one bears no date that I know of), and so this item
      apparently represents a second attestation.

      Carl F. Hostetter

      P.S. Yes, that winning bidder is me! My first bit of Elvish from
      Tolkien's pen.

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.