720Re: [Lambengolmor] Peredhil - translation??

  • Sorcha
    Aug 10, 2004
      On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:06:29 -0000, Suzane Ritch wrote:

      > A discussion has come up between myself and a friend
      > regarding the correct meaning of the word _peredhil_.

      As being the other half in this discussion, I always assumed that
      with _Peredhil_ Tolkien meant 'Half-elven' as a union between man
      and elf.

      My question is: what would be the correct name for an
      edain/Maia? Maiar are not elves so that is why I thought the
      use of _Peredhil_ for this union was kind of awkward.

      Sorcha

      --

      "If I stayed beside you, love would lead me, not wisdom.”

      Beleg Cúthalion to Túrin Turambar, The Silmarillion,
      the Tale of Túrin Turambar.

      http://www.misarray.info/

      [There are no unions of a Maia and a Man in Tolkien's
      mythology, so I doubt he ever coined a term for the issue
      of such a pairing; certainly none appear in the published
      material. -- PHW]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic