702What did replace _glâ_ in GL?

  • Helios De Rosario Martinez
    Jun 27, 2004
      [Initial note: In this message I will represent long vowels, marked
      with macron in the printed texts, with a tilde (~) after the vowel, in
      order to distinguish them from actual circumflexes.]

      In GL:39 is the entry _glâ_ 'day, daytime (time Sun is above
      horizon)', equated to Q _kala_ < _kala~_ & _kala3_ (first vowel with
      breve, 3 == yogh). It is between braces, thus representing that it was
      deleted in the manuscript.

      Patrick Wynne and Christopher Gilson stated in PE14:16 that it was
      "apparently replaced by _gala_ [GL:37], also equated with Q _kala_".
      However, I don't find that the occurrence of the Qenya cognates in
      both entries should induce one to believe that _gala_ replaced _glâ_.

      Maybe there are other evidences in the manuscript that point to that
      direction, but from the information shown in the Gnomish Lexicon as
      edited in PE11, it seems more likely that _gala_ and _glâ_ (<
      *_gala~_) were both compatible derivatives of _gal_- 'shine (golden,
      as the Sun)' (GL:37), since they both coexisted in the ink layer, and
      have different, complementary meanings. _Gala_ was related to
      (day)light, while _glâ_ was to (day)time.

      Other entries added to the manuscript in the pencil layer, as _glô_
      ('sunrise, dawn, daybreak') and _gôl_ ('daylight, day') (GL:40, 41)
      seem to me more probable substitutes of _glâ_. In fact _glô_
      inherites the parenthetical gloss of _glâ_, with nearly identical
      words: "i.e., in sense, time sun is above horizon".

      [This certainly seems like a probable interpretation of the evidence
      to me. -- PHW]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic