694Sindarin _ned_

    Jun 22, 2004
      In version 'III' of the Sindarin "King's Letter" (IX:129, 131), we find
      the following phrase:

      "_nelchaenen ned Echuir_"

      which apparently translates the English phrase (taken from Tolkien's
      English text of version 'I'):

      "the thirty-first day of the Stirring".

      (The English gloss is provided from version 'I', in which the Sindarin
      phrase is: "_nechaenen uin Echuir_"; and thus it is possible that 'of
      the' of version 'I' does not in fact translate _ned_ of version 'III'.)

      In my initial analysis of the form _ned_ in the "King's Letter", way
      back in 1993 (VT31:30-31), I wrote:

      "_ned_ ... is very likely related to the verb-stem _nedia-_ *'count,
      reckon' (q.v.) derived from the base NOT- 'count, reckon' (LR:378). A
      version of "Galadriel's Lament" read by Tolkien in a 1952 recording*
      contains the phrase _inyar �n�ti nar_ *'years numberless are'
      corresponding to the published _Y�ni �n�tim�_ 'years numberless'
      (I:394). The element *_n�ti_ 'number(ing)' of _�n�ti_ *'numberless,
      without number(ing)' implies a primitive form *_not�_ 'number(ing)'
      which, with final _�-affection_ of *_o_ > _e_ (cf. _orod_ 'mountain',
      pl. _ered_ (S:362) < *_orot�_) would yield S _ned_ *'number(ing)'. If
      this derivation of _ned_ is accurate, then the phrase cited above could
      be rendered more literally as *'the thirtieth (of the) number(ing) of
      the Stirring'.

      *_J.R.R. Tolkien Reads and Sings his The Hobbit and The Fellowship of
      the Ring_ (New York: Caedmon Records No. TC 1477). See Laurence Krieg's
      article "Tolkien's Pronunciation: Some Observations" in _An
      Introduction to Elvish_ (pp. 152-59) for a discussion and phonetic
      transcription of this reading."

      Now, I would be the first to say to my self of 11 years ago that it was
      overbold to assert that _ned_ is "very likely related to _nedia-_"; but
      this proposal is no more _unlikely_ than the current, seemingly
      universal notion that _ned_ here in fact means 'in', and is to be
      derived from a base *NED-: see for example the etymology of _ned_,
      presumably provided by David Salo,* in Didier Willis' _Sindarin
      Dictionary_ (<http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/>):

      "_ned_ prep. in, of (time, e.g. giving a date) SD/129-31 MS *_ne?_, OS
      *_ned_ (NED)"

      * According to the Foreword, the _Dictionary_ "includes David
      Salo's etymological reconstructions, which sometimes slightly
      differ from Tolkien's explanations, but present several advantages
      for the study of the 'ultimate' form of the language." The
      _Dictionary_ also states: "Etymological reconstructions �
      David Salo".

      For if my long-ago proposal that _ned_ *'number(ing)' is perhaps to be
      related to NOT- 'count, reckon' is less than completely satisfying, it
      at least has the advantage over Willis/Salo's of referring the Sindarin
      form to a base of suitable meaning and of suitable phonetic shape.

      Willis/Salo's etymology _ned_ < *NED fails, first, on phonological
      grounds: for original final *_-d_ would yield S _-dh_, _not_ **_-d_
      (cf. S _enedh_ 'middle' (UT:264) which apparently, like N _enedh_, <
      �NED-).

      (We do find the forms _en_, _ened_ 'middle, centre' at L:224; but
      these appear to be root/base, not Sindarin, forms. It could also be
      argued that Tolkien was avoiding _-dh_ in the "King's Letter" as
      "uncouth" (cf. UT:267, VT42:20), and thus that _ned_ is actually for
      *_nedh_; but Willis/Salo make no such claim and do not "correct" the
      form to *_nedh_, and further, Tolkien had no such compunction against
      _dh_ in the name _Edhelharn_ in the same text. Worse, Willis/Salo
      derive S _nedh_ (<< N _nedh_) from _precisely the same supposed
      base NED_, _without_ noting or accounting for the discrepant
      phonological derivation. And worst of all, Willis/Salo assert that this
      _nedh_ means "in, inside, mid-: Ety/376", implying that this gloss is
      attested in the _Etymologies_, when in fact the _only_ gloss given there
      is 'mid-'.)

      Second, Willis/Salo's etymology fails to note that the base N�D-
      (V:376) does _not_ mean 'in', but rather 'middle, center'; and that the
      sole Noldorin reflex of this base, the prefix _nedh-_, does _not_ have
      the meaning 'in', but rather 'mid-'.

      (It is possible that Willis/Salo mean by "NED" to indicate a reconstructed,
      and otherwise unattested, base *NED 'in', rather than to associate _ned_
      with N�D-; but if so, then a) their reference to "Ety/376", where only
      N�D- 'middle, centre' occurs, is misleading; and b) this just introduces
      yet another layer of unsupported assertion. Note too that NED does occur,
      as a cross-reference in a deleted entry to what would become N�D- and
      �NED-, but, significantly, where both bases in _-D-_ refer to 'middle,
      centre' _in distinction_ to the base form without _-D-_; cf. VT45:38 s.v.
      NE-/N�-.)

      (Nonetheless, apparently on the authority of Willis/Salo's dictionary
      entry, a supposed S _ned_ *'in' proliferates in "Neo-Sindarin", having
      become the preferred translation of 'in' in all of its English senses,
      i.e., not constrained even to the more restricted sense assigned to the
      form in the dictionary. A further mutation of this assertion has
      surfaced in more formal discussion of the matter, in Gabe Bloomfield's
      article "The Sindarin Word for 'in'"
      <http://maethor.weet.us/writings/sindin.rtf>, in which, having been
      entirely cut loose from its moorings of sole attestation in _nelchaenen
      ned Echuir_, Mr. Bloomfield declares that _ned_ is "more likely to mean
      'into' rather than just a plain 'in'", without showing how such a
      meaning could be at all appropriate to _ned_ within the sole actual
      attestation of the form. He also takes the mention of the base NED at
      VT45:38 s.v. NE-/N�- as unquestionably providing "the root of the [S]
      word _ned_", without even noting the phonological difficulty.)

      The only way that I can see to salvage anything of Willis/Salo's
      assertion that S _ned_ is derived from a root meaning 'in', would be to
      instead relate it to the newly-attested base NE-/N�- *'in, inside'
      (VT45:38); but note that this base was deleted from the _Etymologies_
      by Tolkien at least a decade before the composition of the "King's Letter",
      and leaves the _-d_ of _ned_ utterly unaccounted for.

      Thus, there is no evidence to support, and thus no particular reason to
      accept, the notion that S _ned_ is related to either NE-/N�- *'in,
      inside' or N�D- 'middle, centre', or arises from an unattested base
      *NED 'in' (this being in fact phonologically impossible); and thus no
      reason even to think that it means 'in' at all.

      --

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.