692Re: [Lambengolmor] Acc. in -n and valence of esta

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Jun 16, 2004
      "Beregond. Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:

      >I can not see that [verb]+[accusative: the named]+
      >+[predicative: the name] is per se more straightforward than
      >[verb]+[accusative: name]+[dative: the named].

      I can. The name is an attribute of the named. Therefore it is rather a predicative attribute (or predicative, in this terminology) than a gift to him.

      [But then one could come back and note, correctly, that a name is a _given_ attribute, not an inherent one -- the more so in the example from the "King's Letter" -- and we are back to the other perspective. Which really is what we're talking about: different languages have different idioms for names and naming based on differing perspective; and sometimes even have more than one idiom within a single language. CFH]

      Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor