69Re: Nasal infixion in Indo-European languages and in Quenya

  • hglundahl
    Jun 14, 2002
      --- In lambengolmor@y..., "anthonyappleyard" <Anthony.Appleyard@u...>
      wrote:
      > --- In lambengolmor@y..., "p_iosad" <pavel_iosad@m...> wrote:
      >
      > > ... palatalization as a phonologically relevant feature, but
      > > Romanian does. Should we assume it was there in Latin? ...
      >
      > Pronouncing Latin C and G soft before front vowels, and J as [dzh],
      > did not happen in Julius Caesar's time, but it did when the Western
      > Empire fell, and it got into all the Romance languages except
      > Sardinian. The next stage was analogical levelling across
      declensions
      > and conjugations.

      Well, the grammarians did not recognise palatalization in Latin in
      Caesar's time, but there was palatalization in an extinct Italic
      language (Oscan, I think) and it might have come that way to rustic
      Latin (and rustic pronunciation of cultured Latin) already then.

      You should not say "when the Western Empire fell", but "when Odoacar
      deposed Romulus Augustulus", which did not mean the complete downfall
      of the Empire even in the West. Syagrius kept on the Empire in Gaul,
      St RĂ©mi kept up his work, and when he crowned Clovis, the first King
      of France was accorded the title of Roman Consul by the Eastern
      Emperor.

      Hans Georg Lundahl
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic