677Re: [Lambengolmor] Sindarin pronouns in -n ?

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    Jun 12, 2004
      David Kiltz wrote:

      > accusative in _-n_ may seem uncouth but there might be
      > another instance recorded. Namely, in the 'King's Letter' [IX}:
      > "...Perhael i sennui Panthael estathar aen...". 'Samwise who
      > should rather be called Fullwise'.
      > . . . I would find it hard to interpret _aen_ in the above phrase
      > as dative (< *an-e ?) for both phonetic and syntactic reasons.

      Can you explicate that? Looking purely at what the phrase
      means, it does not seem out of bounds to suppose that _est(a)-_
      means 'utter a name' or 'use a name', the name thus being its
      accusative object and _aen_ a dative. The interpretation would
      then be 'they(one)-shall-[utter-as-a-name] Fullwise to-him', or
      'they(one)-shall-[use-as-a-name] Fullwise for-him'.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic