667Re: VT45 Errata ?

  • jonathan_avidan
    May 10, 2004
      Patrick Wynne wrote:

      > [The passage as given in VT45:14 is correct; in this instance
      > there was no slip by the editors, nor a slip by Tolkien. In the
      > Etymologies, bases beginning in 3- have Qenya derivates in
      > _h-_: thus 3AN- 'male' > Q _hanu_ 'a male', 3AR- 'have,
      > hold' > Q _harya-_ 'possess', etc. In Noldorin initial 3-
      > disappeared: thus 3AN- > N _anw_ 'a male', 3AR- > N _ardh_
      > 'realm'.]

      It is important to note that at least by the sixties, if we judge by
      "Notes on _Óre_", for example (VT41), Tolkien had already changed
      his mind and reversed this change. Thus from 3OR- we have Q.
      and T. _óre, ora, órea_ and other derivatives lacking initial consonant,
      yet the cognate of Q. T. _óre_ is S. _gûr_. The change of initial 3-
      to G- appears in Doriathrin (or Ilkorin?) of the thirties, according to
      the Etymologies. Is this a case of Etym.-Doriathrin incorporated into
      S. (as opposed to Noldorin)?

      -- Jonathan Avidan

      [This is an interesting point. The "Notes on _Óre_" date to c. 1968,
      and the typescript text on VT41:11 does indeed state that Common
      Eldarin 3OR- yielded Q _or-_, T. _or-_, and S. _gor-_. However, the
      forms _óre, ora, órea_ cited by Jonathan are A) from a different
      (albeit contemporary) set of notes; B) are in fact said to derive from
      Common Eldarin root HOR (VT41:13); and C) are evidently Quenya, not
      Quenya and Telerin. It is interesting that Tolkien gives _(h)ore_ as
      one of the derivatives of HOR in the latter notes, showing that initlal
      H- in the root was sometimes retained (dialectally, perhaps).

      But Jonathan's basic point stands, that Tolkien clearly changed his mind
      in his later writings about what the developments of original initial 3-
      should be in the various descendant languages. He was also uncertain
      whether this sound should be 3- or H- in the primitive tongue, as
      shown by the variation between 3OR- and HOR- in the notes mentioned
      above. In "Quendi and Eldar" (c. 1959-60) we can note the root
      *HO 'away, from, from among' (XI:368), which is clearly a later conception
      of 3O- 'from, away, from among, out of' in the Etymologies. In "Q&E"
      this initial *H- was retained in Quenya and Telerin, but lost in Sindarin;
      thus *HEK- > Q. _heka!_, T. _heca!_ 'be gone! stand aside', but S. _ego!_
      'be off!' (XI:364-65). -- PHW]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic