600Re: Q _ulundo_ < _ulgundô_ vs. _felya_ < *_felga_

  • Lukas Novak
    Jan 6 11:43 AM
      Andreas Johansson wrote:

      > I'd rather expect the words to syllabify as fel.ya and u.lun.do,
      > respectively,

      I rather agree - I did not mean to imply where exactly the syllable
      boundary lies.

      > Another possible internal explanation that struck me right now is that it
      > could simply be due to the different following vowel.

      > [Comparison of derivatives of Etym. WÔ- (Q _o-_/_ó-_) and bases in WA-,
      > such as WA3- (Q _vára_), WAN- (Q _vanya_), etc. exhibit this contrast.
      > See also the statement in _Quendi and Eldar_ that initial _w-_ was "lost in
      > Quenya before _ô_" (XI:367). (Please note that I make no promise of
      > providing citations in the future!) CFH]

      Yes, but it seems that Q phonology avoids _w_ and _y_ glides
      consistently before the phonologically related vowels: the rounded
      vowels in case of _w_, and the highest vowel (_i_) in case of _y_.
      I would not on this ground expect that the following _u_ is the reason
      why _g_ disappears rather than changes into _y_ (we have "yulda",
      so _yu_ is allowed).

      Lukas
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic