561Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: _Ingwe_: A Possible Quenya Word for "Insect"?

  • Lukas Novak
    Dec 25, 2003
      Patrick H. Wynne wrote:

      > As for interpreting _telpingwe_ and _ulumpingwe_ as haplologies of
      > *_telpe-pingwe, *ulumpe-pingwe_, with *_pingwe_ meaning 'insect' --
      > while hapolology would probably occur if these forms existed, there
      > are etymological problems with *_pingwe_.

      [...]

      I had in my mind something like PIK-ME > PINGWE - but I surmise this
      pattern is a feature of much later stages of the language...?
      I think you have convinced me that it is more probable that the words
      contain -ingwe.

      Lukas

      [You are right that the development of *_-k-m�_ > Q _-ngwe_ seen in
      the Etymologies -- e.g. *_rakm�_ > Q _rangwe_ 'fathom' -- does _not_
      occur in QL, in which all words in _-ngwe_ derive instead from roots
      with medial W (IWI etc.) or with medial NG (TENGE etc.) -- PHW]
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic