55Re: [Lambengolmor] Nasal infixion in Indo-European languages and in Quenya

  • Arden R. Smith
    Jun 8, 2002
      Hans-Juergen Fischer wrote:

      >Now nasal infixion plays an important role in Quenya. Is there any
      >hint at the former existence of nasal vowels in primitive Elvish?

      For the later versions of the languages, I would agree with Pavel's
      statement that there's no evidence of nasal vowels in
      Quendian/Eldarin.

      In the earliest version, however, it's another story. According to
      the Qenya phonology that accompanied the Qenya Lexicon (circa 1915),
      primitive Eldarin had long and short syllabic versions of _l_, _r_,
      and _n_, "and _n_ perhaps represented a nasal to each of the five
      positions" [i.e. points of articulation] (_Parma Eldalamberon_ 12, p.
      10). In the Qenya Lexicon we find a considerable number of roots
      with forms like LNQN (with dots below the n's), whence _lanqa_ 'lot.
      luck, piece of fortune, happening'.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_