529Reversible forms (was Re: Verbal agreement and clitics)

    Nov 6, 2003
      On 06.11.2003, at 08:51, Carl Hostetter wrote:

      > While I agree with David's statement in general, it isn't clear to me
      > that _inye_ exhibits the reversibility of CV- (and VC-) bases. Rather,
      > it appears that the basic element is modified, not reversed, to _-nye_,
      > and the _sundóma_ _i_ prefixed. Note that _elye_ seems also to be
      > formed in this same manner. CFH]

      Quite. 'Seemingly reversible' might have been better. I meant to say
      that _iN_ (N == any nasal) is quite possible, whatever the exact process
      that leads to that form. Indeed, I think Carl's suggestion is a very
      good idea. So in _elye_ you would assume influence of the 1st person
      pronoun? In strict analogy we would expect _+ele_ <_*elê_ <_*ele-e_,
      wouldn't we?

      [As my friend and colleague Christopher Gilson once observed,
      "Go not to the Lambengolmor for counsel, for they will say both
      perhaps and maybe". CFH]

      While not noted as such in _The Etymologies_, we might have cases of a
      stem that is virtually INI, ELE with the possibility of left and right
      branching vowels. Just as e.g. ANA 2/NÁ 2 which yields _ná_ 'is', _nat_
      'thing' and _anwa_ 'actual, true' [V:348/374].

      As for the 'm' in S. _im_, there is, perhaps, a faint possibility that
      it has been influenced by the 1st pl. That would, however, be
      typologically unusual.