506Re: [Lambengolmor] S. _agor_ 'made, did' and the Sindarin past tense

    Oct 28, 2003
      On 17.10.2003, at 11:44, David Kiltz wrote:

      > [Carl Hostetter wrote:]
      >
      > the past-tense formation described by Tolkien for S _agor_ < *_akâra_
      > is not attested elsewhere in the published corpus, since even by the
      > interpretation you propose here, the final _-e_ of _óne-n_ does not
      > fit the pattern Tolkien describes. Nor would *_a-âna-in_ solve the
      > problem, since *_-a-in_ would yield S _-aen_.

      The question is whether the 1. sg. of S. _agor_ could have been _*agoren_.

      [I don't think that was the question, really; the question was whether
      S _ónen_ fits the pattern exhibited by S _agor_ < *_akâra_, which strictly
      speaking it does not, at least not demonstrably so. But since you raise
      the question, I'd say: yes, sure, it's _possible_ that the 1 sg. of S _agor_
      (sc., at the point at which Tolkie wrote that form and figure in _Quendi
      and Eldar_ -- at any other time, all bets are off) could have been
      *_agoren_. But I would say it could also have been *_agoran_. CFH]

      As for _*-ain_ > _aen_, i.e. in closed, post-tonic syllable, I'm not so
      sure. Do you have an example handy? Of course, _*ai_ > _*ae_ in
      stressed syllables.

      [Good point; in that specific environment, no, I can't bring any example
      to mind (though its prominent presence in other environments is surely
      suggestive). On the other hand, can you provide any support for supposing
      that it would yield _-en_ in that environment? CFH]

      > Patrick Wynne wrote:
      >
      > [Regarding the prefixed I.E. particle *_e-_ indicating 'past' -- there
      > is a striking parallel to this in QL, which lists a prefix _e-_ under
      > the root E, whose derivatives are primarily demonstrative ...]

      Very interesting. I thought about it along the lines of _*aquâ_ being
      an 'intensified' form of _*quâ_ [XI:415] (or even _Isil_ from SIL- 'the
      Sheen', _Anar_ from NAR- 'the Burning, Hot, Fire'). The apparent early
      conception of the QL makes it indeed more like Indo-European.