49Nasal infixion in Indo-European languages and in Quenya

  • Hans-Juergen Fischer
    Jun 8, 2002
      There's a question connected with ablaut in past tense related to
      nasal infixion: "gehen" (go) -> "er ging". The other direction would
      be "denken" (think) -> "er dachte", cf. "Gedanke" (thought), or "bringen"
      (bring) -> "er brachte".

      Since one would only expect another vowel here, this is an indication
      for ancient nasal vowels, changing into "in/en/an" later. Such nasal
      vowels remained in some other Indo-European languages (Polish), they
      aren't a mere hypothesis.

      Now nasal infixion plays an important role in Quenya. Is there any
      hint at the former existence of nasal vowels in primitive Elvish?
      (this was my first, never answered question in the Elfling list).

      PS: Am I supposed to be somewhere else? I don't think so, but I'm open for
      other opinions... if they are stated openly.

      [Are you asking whether you "belong" on this list? If you are interested
      in its contents, then yes, of course you do. Moreover, you've posed a
      interesting question in a thoughtful, informed manner. 'Nuff said. Carl]