473Noldorin and Sindarin phonological development (was Re: _Huorn_)

    Aug 10, 2003
      I would like to extend Pat's comments with two of my own:

      First, a chart of the phonological developments from Primitive Eldarin
      to Noldorin or to Sindarin, while certainly useful, would yet be no
      substitute for the actual evidence of the languages themselves. Charts
      and other like distillations inevitably include hypothesis and gloss
      over particular peculiarities and exceptions. For a relatively limited
      corpus like those of Noldorin or Sindarin, this can be ameliorated by
      inclusion of exhaustive exemplars from the sources; but the result of
      doing so would basically just be a reorganization _Etymologies_ and the
      few other sources, into a form emphasizing groupings of like
      developments. My point being that, since the sources are not all that
      extensive, it is not too difficult, if one is not impatient, to find an
      example or two showing the path and result(s) of most any phonological
      development needed.

      Second, in addition to having what remains the best indices of
      Tolkien's languages in _The Lord of the Rings_, _An Introduction to
      Elvish_ features a still very useful tabulation of the chief
      phonological changes from P.E. to Quenya and to Sindarin (as they stood
      at the time of the publication of 2nd ed. of _The Lord of the Rings_),
      again as exemplified by the instances of these languages in _The Lord
      of the Rings_.

      Carl

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.