472Re: [Lambengolmor] _Huorn_

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Aug 10, 2003
      Patrick Wynne wrote:

      "Here phonology provides the probable
      answer; for on analogy with the cognate pair Q _róma_ 'loud sound,
      trumpet-sound' == N _rhû_ (in the Etym. s.v. ROM- 'loud noise, horn
      blast'), it appears that Q _óma_ would have had the Noldorin
      cognate *_û_. This would be identical to the (presumably frequent)
      negative prefix _ú-_ (as in _ú-chebin_ *'I have not kept',
      LR:1036), and so it was probably abandoned in favor of the
      more distinctive *_hû_."

      Q: would the development be something like:

      *ômâ > ôma (== Q) > *ûma > *ûmha > *ûmh > *ûv > *ûw > *û, phon. == ú?

      Has anyone (except Tolkien of course, whose linguistic material is still being
      published) tried to make a chart of Primitive Quendian to Noldorin/Sindarin
      soundchanges? Helge Fauskanger has made one for Quenya, I know.

      I was going to include attested examples for each sound change, but was
      interrupted by the fact that Quenya _Róme_ corresponds to Sindarin _Rhûn_.
      Would the correspondence be _Róme_ == _*Rhû_ + _*-n_?

      Hans Georg Lundahl

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      [I will begin with a gentle reminder that page references should be
      provided for all forms cited -- I had to search for an unambiguous
      occurrence of Q _róme_ 'east' myself. This form appears as the
      first element in _Rómelonde_ 'East-haven', an earlier form of the
      name _Rómenna_ that appears in _The Notion Club Papers_ (IX:315).
      _Rómello_ '[to one] from the East' in Galadriel's Lament probably
      contains _rómen_ 'east' (V:384) instead, with *_Rómen-(l)lo_
      assimilating to _Rómello_.

      And Q _róme_ does _not_ correspond to S _rhûn_ 'east' (LR:1089).
      The _Etymologies_ s.v. RÔ- gives instead Q _róna_ 'east', N _rhûn_.
      The same entry gives N †_rhufen_ 'east' as the equivalent of Q
      _rómen_ 'east'.

      I don't know of any formal presentations of Primitive Quendian to
      Noldorin/Sindarin sound changes. Given David Salo's "Old Sindarin"
      and "Middle Sindarin" etymological forms in Didier Willis's Sindarin
      dictionary, presumably he has done some work along these lines,
      and perhaps this will form part of his book on Sindarin, when and
      if it is ever published.

      However, it is, I think, a major mistake from a scholarly standpoint
      to simply lump the Noldorin and Sindarin material together in for-
      mulating any such presentation of sound changes. We know there
      are differences between the Noldorin of the _Etymologies_ and the
      Sindarin of _The Lord of the Rings_, and to simply treat the two as
      interchangeable (after submitting Noldorin forms to a few minor
      cosmetic changes) greatly muddies the evidence. What needs to be
      done is a systematic analysis of the sound changes _of Noldorin
      as it appears in the Etymologies, and ONLY in the Etymologies_.
      This would then provide a valuable point of comparison for the
      phonetic developments seen in both the earlier and later material.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic