471Re: [Lambengolmor] _Huorn_

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Aug 8, 2003
      Patrick H. Wynne wrote:

      > "Huorns" is an anglicized plural of a Sindarin sing. _Huorn_, the
      > latter element of which is, clearly enough, S _orn_ 'tree' (L:426).
      > The name is listed in the Sindarin glossary of _An Introduction to
      > Elvish_ with the translation 'Voiced-tree', the initial element _hu-_
      > interpreted in a separate entry as an adjective, 'speaking, voiced'
      > (ItE:81). Curiously, the word _Huorn_ has been largely ignored
      > since the publication of ITE, despite the enormous amount of new
      > linguistic material that has appeared since 1978.

      Not quite, not quite. ;-) ;-) ;-)

      Several years ago, I came to the same conclusion as you, cf. my book "Le
      dictionnaire des langues des Hobbits, des Nains, des Orques" :

      (My translation/adaptation):

      see Chapter 51. Huorns
      Entish is not only useful among Ents, it allows communication among
      Ents and Huorns. These ones are "shouting-trees" (from Sindarin hû-orn).
      [...] These strange "trees" received at first a Sindarin name Galbedir
      "talking trees" (see WR, p. 47). Then Tolkien tried instead some Quenya
      names : Lamorni and Ornómar, with a variant plural form Ornómi (see
      WR, p. 50), but all were rejected.

      Namárie,

      Edouard Kloczko

      P.S. To be published at the end of this year in an Italian translation (Tre
      editori), and in a German one next year (Baumann Verlag).

      [My apologies for having overlooked your discussion of _huorn_ --
      I'm guilty of not speaking a single word of French, alas! Are there
      any plans for an English translation of this book?

      I'd also like to know if in your book you explained your reasoning
      for glossing the first element of _huorn_ as 'shouting' -- or is the
      passage cited above all that is said there on the topic? -- PHW]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic