463Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Sindarin phonology: articles, words and phrases

  • Gildor Inglorion
    Jul 10, 2003
      Aaron Shaw wrote:

      > *atele *kalrondo -> Adel@ kallond@ -> Adel gallon ?
      >
      > *an *parma -> an parm@ -> an parf -> an pharf ?

      The grammar mutations evolved the same time with the
      internal mutations. So the correct process would be

      *atele *kalrondo -> Adel@ gallond@ -> Adel gallon

      *an *parma -> an pharmh@ -> an farv

      I used my own spelling here to avoid confusion. _f_ is
      used for /f/ in all positions, and _ph_ is used for the
      'aspirate p' that existed in early Elvish. _mh_
      represents the 'nasalised v' which is an early version
      of /v/. _v_ is used here finally instead of _f_ to avoid
      confusion with /f/ that occurs on the beginning of the
      word 'farv'.

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      [NOTA BENE:

      Gildor's statement that "grammar mutations evolved [at] the
      same time with the internal mutations", and his example
      of the "correct process", both portray as hard fact what is
      actually _hypothetical_. Readers are hereby gently reminded
      of the list's guidelines requiring that they "provide evidence
      and publication citations for all assertions."

      If hard evidence supporting an assertion is not available,
      then please portray your assertion as theory, not fact. The
      subjunctive voice often far more accurate in Tolkien
      scholarship than the indicative!

      -- Patrick H. Wynne]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic