43Re: [Lambengolmor] Aorist across verb classes

  • Ivan A Derzhanski
    Jun 6, 2002
      "G. Dyke" wrote:
      > I'm afraid I have no Greek to add, but Ivan's remark that
      > "the latter is typical of lexical innovations" reminds me
      > of the French infinitive forms:

      Roughly speaking, the presence of more derivational morphology
      in lexical innovations may conflict with whatever inflexional
      morphology distinguishes the two stems in the verbs of the core
      vocabulary.

      [...]
      > although I know of no other languages with aorist, it does not seem
      > particularly strange that some verb classes should have a particular
      > form which others don't.

      Going back to Quenya: If it is the case that the present stem
      is obtained from the aorist one by lengthening the root vowel
      and replacing the final vowel by _-a_ (as in the pair _quete_
      `says' vs _qu├ęta_ `is saying'), what shall we expect if (as in
      the case of _-ta/-ya_-verbs) the aorist stem already ends in _-a_
      and the root vowel can't be lengthened, because it is in a closed
      syllable? -- The two stems will coincide, which the language may
      or may not do something about. I'd say that, on the whole,
      languages tend to tolerate this sort of ambiguity.

      --Ivan
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic