417Re: [Lambengolmor] Quenya accusative pronouns

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    May 14, 2003
      I wrote and Patrick Wynne answered:

      > But how is _-le_ distinct in form (as opposed to usage) from the
      > subject prefix _le-_ (found in the discarded _le.ana_ . . .)
      >
      > [. . . we see nom. _le-_ in _le-ana_, not **_lé-_. . . .]

      Would not _é_ in **_lé-ana_ have been reduced, as is usual
      in hiatus position? That is, can we tell from this single example
      whether subject and object form were not identically _lé_, both
      taking the form _le_ in the contexts under discussion?

      I do find Patrick's interpretation more attractive, though.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond

      [I would say that yes, **_lé-ana_ would have been an allowable
      form at the time the pronoun chart was written, given the
      occurrance of _úa_ and _úalye_ in Átaremma I and IIa, which
      are contemporary with the chart. And while assuming con-
      sistency in pronominal forms taken from different compositional
      periods is an iffy proposition at best, we might suppose that
      the nom. prefix _ni-_ with short vowel in _nimaruva, nilendie_
      also argues that nom. prefix _le-_ in _le-ana_ was inherently
      short, rather than being long but shortened in hiatus position.

      It is _not_, however, an iffy proposition to suppose consistency
      in pronominal forms appearing in the same text. I have shown
      that _-ni_ in _óni_ must derive from *_-nî_, the lengthened
      vowel strongly suggesting that it is accusative; I have shown
      that _-me_ in _óme_ is identical in form with accusative _me_
      'us' in the Átaremma and elsewhere, and that _te_ in _óte_
      appears to be identical to accusative _te_ 'them' in _a laita
      te_ 'praise them'. It is not unreasonable then to suppose that
      the other forms in this same chart, _óle_ et al., are based on
      accusative forms as well, with of course the exception of
      _onye, olye_, in which the endings _-nye, -lye_ are attested
      as nominative.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne]
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic