41Re: [Lambengolmor] Aorist across verb classes

  • NiennaSorrowing@aol.com
    Jun 5, 2002
      In a message dated 6/5/2002 11:43:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      gordon.dyke@... writes:

      > This could mean that derived stems either have no aorist; or that their
      > aorist is identical to their "present continuous".

      If this is continuing the example of French, Greg, I would like to point
      out that, as far as I know, there is no distinction made in French between
      the present indicative (close to Quenya's "aorist") and the progressive
      present ("present continuative"). Admitedly, I am nowhere near fluent in
      French, so I might be incorrect.

      _Je regarde_ translates to both "I watch" (present indicative or "aorist")
      and "I am watching" (progressive present). The circumlocution _en train
      de_ "in the middle of" is often used if a more exact "progressive present"
      is desired.

      I'm afraid I'm not polyglot enough to make any more contributions to this
      subject, but using the example of French given, it would certainly seem
      that a distinction between aorist and progressive present is not always
      necessary.

      --Inga

      [Certainly there are many languages -- actually, all the ones I've studied,
      other than Quenya! - that make no _formal_ (i.e. _structural_) distinction
      between present continuative and present indicative. Usually, if the
      distinction is important to the meaning (as it very often isn't), these
      languages will employ periphrasis to express the difference, or rely on
      context, or other extra-structural strategies. The question at hand,
      though, is, in those languages that _do_ have a formal distinction of
      aorist vs. non-aorist, or even present continuative vs. present
      indicative, is the distinction maintained across all verb classes. Carl]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic