398[Lambengolmor] If and when (was: Similarities between Elvish and real-world languages)

  • Arden R. Smith
    Apr 4, 2003
      At 12:32 PM +0200 4/2/03, David Kiltz wrote:

      >I have to contradict this statement. _Wenn_ is the most frequent word
      >used in cases where English has either _if_ or _when_. However, when
      >ambiguity arises, _falls_ can and is used instead of _wenn_. Indeed, it
      >is, I would say, imperative in this case. While the "synonyms"
      >A.R. Smith adduces are indeed more similar in use to English _in
      >case_ etc., this is not true for _falls_. It is far more frequent and
      >stands often for English _if_. It is certainly not too strong but
      >simply the correct word to use here.

      I was going by my own feeling for the language, but I'll trust that a
      native speaker's _Sprachgef├╝hl_ is more reliable than my own. My
      perception is most likely colored by the etymology of _falls_,
      originally the genitive of _Fall_ "case", so in my mind it triggers
      the (to me) stronger meaning "in case" rather than a simple "if".
      However, I do agree with you that if the distinction between "if" and
      "when" is to be retained, then the use of _falls_ is the way to do it.

      >My apologies if this has already been discussed.

      It hasn't (to the best of my knowledge), so thanks for your input!

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic