379Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: ómentie

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Mar 22, 2003
      Hans Georg Lundahl a écrit:

      > Ecrit M. Kloczko:
      > "My question is quite unrelated to the stress pattern itself, but to "why/how?"
      > (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ > Quenya _omentie_."
      > Well - how come Old Latin _mammilla_ becomes Latin _mamilla_?

      _mammilla_ > _mamilla_ shows the usual and well known Latin internal geminated
      consonant simplification after a long vowel, as _*seddolod_ > _sedulo_; or
      _*sed-cubo_ > _*seccubo_ > _secubo_, etc. This phenomenon goes as well for the
      Germanic as you pointed out in your post but not in Ancient Greek.

      In Quenya we are dealing with an initial long vowel shortening.

      Edouard Kloczko
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic