358Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Possible ON -r derivation?

    Mar 16, 2003
      On Sonntag, März 16, 2003, at 07:39 Uhr, Patrick Wynne commented:

      >> If I read it correctly, _ndakro_ is given as a ON form (just as
      >> _ndagno_ "slain").
      >
      > [Absolutely -- this is not a contested point. I merely wished
      > to make it clear that the reading was not _**ndakra_ or
      > _**ndakro-_. -- PHW]

      I know. I wasn't criticizing. I just wanted to hook on to it.

      >> ON already shows the transition PQ _â_ > _ô_ as exemplified by
      >> *_ndâkô_ > ON _ndóko_ in the same entry. This allows us to
      >> retrace the form to either PQ *_ndakrô_ or _ndakrâ_.
      >
      > [Not necessarily. Original long final _*-â_ usually yields _-a_ in ON,
      > There is one certain example of an ON form with _-o_ < _*-â_
      > -- _batthô'-_ 'trample' < _*battâ'-_ (V:351-2) -- but this is set
      > against a majority of forms in which PQ _*-â_ > ON _-a_. -- PHW]

      That is a severe counter-argument. One would then have to resort to
      other explanations. _Ndagno_ could, perhaps, be also seen as deriving
      from *_ndaknâ_ . Maybe Tolkien changed the outcome of PQ *_-â_
      just in this entry or maybe an original PQ *_-ra_ was later strengthened
      (in, say, a Proto-Telerin phase). I have to admit, this doesn't look too
      good. But who knows. Still, I would think that the parallel to the
      Germanic forms isn't entirely fortuitous.

      David Kiltz

      [It seems likely to me that ON _ndagno_ 'slain (as noun), corpse'
      was formed from an ON participle _*ndagna_ 'slain', with the
      addition of the suffix _-o_ serving to make the participle into
      a noun. This same process appears in Quenya forms in the
      _Etymologies_, e.g. adj. _vanima_ 'fair' > nouns _Vanimo_ pl.
      _Vanimor_ 'the beautiful' (children of the Valar), _Úvanimor_
      'monster' (V:351). Attested examples of the ON participial or
      adjectival ending _-na_ include _etlenna_ 'exiled' (< _etledie_
      'go abroad, go into exile', V:368), _muina_ 'familiar, dear'
      < MOY- (V:374), and _ragna_ 'crooked' < RAG- (V:382) -- PHW]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic