340Re: [Lambengolmor] _nahamna_ in the Atalante fragments

    Mar 7, 2003
      Petri Tikka wrote:

      > Ales Bican suggests in his study of the "Atalante Fragments"
      > that _nahamna_ "to hýþe" (V:47) might be analyzed as _na-_ "to"
      > prefixed preposition (V:374) + HAM- *"ground" (QL:39L) +
      > _-na_ (?) noun ending.

      **This is actually one of possibilities I suggested. I tried primarily
      to find the base from Etym and the most likely ones I could think
      of were KHAM- "sit" and KHAP- "enfold"; in the latter case,
      _hamna_ might be "something that is enfolded", hence "harbor".

      > One problem with this is that _-na_ is not
      > necessarily a noun ending;

      **You are quite right that the suffix _-na_ means a problem here,
      since it is rather an adjectival/participial suffix and the words
      (adjectives/participles) derived by it could be nominalized (and it
      seems that even some _-na_ adjectives could be verbalized, as
      _lumna-_ "heavy" and "to lie heavy").

      > _-na_ in _samna_ "wooden post" <
      > _STAB-_ might be an adjectival ending later developing a nominal
      > meaning (since the original meaning of STAB- isn't known)

      **Judging from _stabrô_ "carpenter, wright, builder", the base
      STAB- might mean something like "to hew, to wright, to build
      from wood". Hence _samna_ "wooden post" might literally be
      "something built from wood".

      > as also
      > _namna_ "statute" < *_nam-_ "judge" (in _namin_ "I judge",
      > VT41:13).

      **Here _namna_ "statute" might be "something that is/was judged",
      what do you think?

      > Another is that _-na_ might also be a form of the allative
      > case ending _-nna_ before consonants, since _-nna_ is in all likelihood
      > derived from _NÂ-_ (V:374).
      >
      > These are minor points, but I would rather analyze _nahamna_ as
      > _na-_ "to" nominal prefix

      **What do you mean by "nominal prefix"?

      > + HAM *"ground" + _-na_ allative case
      > ending. A similar construction is _nuhuinenna_ (SD:246) < _nu_
      > "under" (LR:398) + _huine_ "shadow" (LR:56) + _-nna_ allative
      > case ending. *_nahan_ "to ground" is indeed where ships come when
      > arriving at a harbour.

      **You may be right, though the word _nahan_ does not seem like
      a usual Q word. But then if a harbor can have a name like _Elenna_... : )

      > Prefixed prepositions (indicating grammatical
      > position in a sentence) are not used in the context where this word is
      > found, but instead case endings (e.g. _kilyanna_ "to-chasm"). Suddenly
      > having such a form would be surprising indeed, and the explanation
      > of euphony seems fragile, since understanding the meaning is mostly
      > outweighing in non-poetic texts.

      **You may be right, but the form *_hamnanna_ is slightly odd -- too
      many nasals. At any rate, there must be something unusual about the
      word _nahamna_, because it is the only word that is not a proper name
      that was not translated by Alboin.

      kurvannapi vyalíkáni yah. priyah. priya eva sah.
      anekadós.adus.t.ó 'pi káyah. kasya na vallabhah.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic