33RE: [Lambengolmor] Quenya intervocalic -d-'s revisited

  • Pavel Iosad
    Jun 1, 2002

      Carl wrote:

      > There is another factor to consider about the possible convergence
      > of these two particular roots. While "along side" and "against,
      > opposed to, opposite" may seem impossibly disparate in sense,
      > English itself shows a blending and blurring of these concepts.

      Fair point. As a matter of fact, these things can blend in other
      (Indo-European?) languages as well. In Russian, for example, the
      situation with 'fighting' is identical to the English. The question
      however reamins - would the two roots merge on the phonemic
      level or not? I would contend that it is possible that the two
      roots do remain asunder. We could try and reconstruct the
      earliest root as *AD-A with the meaning of 'adjunction', possibly.
      It would then show divergence in later Eldarin, mainly in the
      Vanyarin dialects. And we still don't know whether these could
      converge _back_ in Quenya (gues it is possible they wouldn't).
      Alternately, this could be a case of a hypothetic D/R variation,
      similar to the alternation of D/L, referred to in XI:363.

      But then, it's been a long time since I told myself not to build
      grandiose theories out if a single example! The above is pretty
      likely to be completely bogus :-)

      Pavel Iosad pavel_iosad@...

      'I am a philologist, and thus a misunderstood man'
      --JRR Tolkien, _The Notion Club Papers_

      [Even if "completely bogus", it is thoughtfully constructed and
      raises interesting questions about language that are worthy of
      exploration. Carl]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic