318Re: A tree : the lebethron

  • Jerome Colburn
    Feb 8, 2003
      At 07:47 PM 2/8/03 +0100, Didier Willis wrote:

      >And there happen to be a good canditate for such a tree, with leaves like
      >fingers, forming by group of five the shape of a hand, with a hard wood used
      >by carpenters, with a dark-grey bark, nearly black : the "mountain chestnut
      >oak" or "chestnut oak", Quercus Prinus a.k.a. Quercus Montana. Cf. picture:
      > http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/ChOakLvstemtb.jpg
      >
      >The only weak point in this demonstration is that it grows mainly in America,
      >and was introduced late in Europe (Great Britain first), around 1688 according
      >to resources I found on the internet. The standard oak in England is the
      >Quercus
      >Robur or "English oak".

      I'm no aldangolmo, but of Q. prinus the _Audubon Society Field Guide to
      North American Trees, Eastern Region_ (Knopf, 1980), p. 406, says, "The
      wood is marketed as White Oak."

      >"Spanish oak" is indeed a very dark color, esp. compared to a few other oaks:
      >http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/blond-it_colors.jpg

      A veritable casket of "Spanish oak" is shown at
      http://www.clarksburgcasket.com/c_oak_spanish.htm

      Red oak (Q. rubra, Northern red oak, and Q. falcata, Southern red oak)
      doesn't seem so dark on
      http://www.ahec-europe.org/technical_guide/species/oakred/index.php/en

      Yet for the Northern red oak, "high tannin content allows the wood to be
      treated with ammonia to yield a nearly black or 'Jacobean' finish" and "Red
      oaks grown in the north [Q. rubra --JC] are less coarse textured than the
      faster-grown red oak from the southern states [Q. falcata --JC]"
      (http://www.toolcenter.com/wood/redoak.html)

      +-------------------------+
      + Airesseo Kolvorno +
      + Jerome Colburn +
      + jcolburn@... +

      [I'm allowing this post, even though it's beginning to wander off-topic.
      Although I personally find discussions of the botany of Middle-earth
      highly interesting, given that this is a _linguistic_ discussion group
      I request that future posts on the topic of _lebethron_ and other plants
      of Middle-earth focus on analysis of their Elvish names. Discussion of
      the specific species referred to by Tolkien (when these can be plausibly
      determined) is still welcome, but only when this is _directly pertinent_
      to making a _linguistic point_. -- Patrick Wynne.]
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic