308Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Finnish and Quenya future

    Jan 31, 2003
      On Donnerstag, Januar 30, 2003, at 09:09 Uhr, Petri Tikka wrote:

      > I find it quite strange that the term _aorist_ is applied
      > to a tense that points to the present in Quenya

      Aorist in Greek means "undefined, not fixed". Hence it fits the Quenya
      "tense" quite well (compare Patrick's description). Indeed, the name
      "aorist" fits the Quenya tense better than the Greek since the latter
      was mostly used as a past tense. The past value, however, did not
      originally reside in the aorist form as such but in the augment e-.
      Note that the Quenya "perfect" tense employs a similar strategy. For a
      very close typological parallel you might want to look at Turkish.
      Turkish has an "aorist" as well which is used for general or gnomic
      statements. It's a present tense as well.