305Re: Finnish and Quenya future

  • pa2rick <pwynne@gvtel.com>
    Jan 30, 2003
      Petri wrote, regarding the Finnish pa.t. morpheme _i_:

      > That is one thing that was not borrowed to Quenya. _i_ in
      > Quenya actually indicates the present tense, e.g. in _carir_
      > pl.'make' (WJ:391). This could lead to confusion. For example,
      > _tulin_ means 'I come' in Quenya (V:395), while in Finnish it
      > means 'I came'!

      Actually, in the Quenya verbal system _i_ indicates the _aorist_,
      not the present tense. Examples include:

      _i KARIR quettar ómainen_ 'those who FORM words with voices'

      _lá karita i HAMIL mára alasaila (ná)_ 'not to do (in this
      case) what YOU JUDGE good (would be) unwise' (VT42:33)

      _Eleni SILIR lúmesse omentiemman_ 'The stars SHINE on the hour
      of our meeting' (VI:324)

      As I noted in message #157:

      "The _Etymologies_ also gives many 1 sg. aorist forms translated
      with the present tense: _karin_ 'I make, build', _tyavin_ 'I taste',
      _lavin_ 'I lick', _lirin_ 'I chant', _nyarin_ 'I tell', _nutin_ 'I
      tie', _serin_ 'I rest', _hyarin_ 'I cleave', _tulin_ 'I come', etc.

      "It is clear from these numerous examples that the Q. aorist is more
      closely rendered by the English present, specifically the English
      present in its 'gnomic' sense, i.e., 'when denoting a permanent
      situation or periodically recurrent action, without particular
      emphasis or definite indication of the temporal aspect' (Mario
      Pei, _A Dictionary of Linguistics_, 1954). As Alex Grigny de Castro
      put it in Elfling post 16447, 'Unlike Greek, Q aorist is more akin
      to present tense than to past. Like Greek, it can express general
      truths etc.' "

      -- Patrick Wynne
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic