3Moderation: Bibliographic citation, underscores, long vowels

    May 29, 2002
      Bibliographic citations should conform to the style used in _Vinyar
      Tengwar_. Here are the bibliographic citation abbreviations used. Citations
      should be to the standard hardcover/trade paperback editions. (If in doubt
      as to which these are, follow the links on the "Books" section of my
      "Resources for Tolkienian Linguistics" web page at:
      http://www.elvish.org/resources.html#PrimaryBooks_anchor
      to see the precise editions I cite in _Vinyar Tengwar_). If they are not,
      indicate this in your post.

      H The Hobbit
      LR The Lord of the Rings
      R The Road Goes Ever On
      TC A Tolkien Compass
      S The Silmarillion
      UT Unfinished Tales
      L The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
      MC The Monsters and the Critics
      I The Book of Lost Tales, Part One
      II The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two
      III The Lays of Beleriand
      IV The Shaping of Middle-earth
      V The Lost Road
      VI The Return of the Shadow
      VII The Treason of Isengard
      VIII The War of the Ring
      IX Sauron Defeated
      X Morgoth¹s Ring
      XI The War of the Jewels
      XII The Peoples of Middle-earth
      PE Parma Eldalamberon
      VT Vinyar Tengwar

      Example citations: "(LR:90)" = _The Lord of the Rings_ p. 90. "(VT43:24)" =
      _Vinyar Tengwar_ 43, p. 24.

      Also, please develop the habit of bracketing citations of all Tolkienian
      words and phrases in underscores (e.g. _namárie_ or _namaarie_; _Elen síla
      lúmenn' omentielvo_; etc.), simulating underlining. It makes it much easier
      to visually cue on Elvish content.

      With the widespread (and free) availability of capable web-browsers and
      e-mail clients, I prefer the use of accented characters for long vowels (á,
      é, í, ó, ú), but doubling (aa, ee, etc.) is acceptable.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |