285Finnish influence on Quenya allative

  • Petri Tikka
    Nov 11, 2002
      I have found a Finnish influence on Quenya that has not been noted before.
      Quenya has an allative case ending _-nna_ (VT6:14), which signifies movement
      towards a point. Finnish has (a now seldom used) lative case ending _-nne_,
      which signifies movement towards a point. It is seen in such paricles as
      _tuonne_ 'thither', _tänne_ 'hither' and _minne_ 'whither'.

      The Quenya _-nna_ is also similar to Finnish essive case _-na_. They are
      almost identical in form, and they are both known to signify temporal place.
      Cf. Telerin _Él síla lúmena vomentienguo_ (WJ:407), Quenya _Elen síla
      lúmenna omentielvo!_ 'A star shines upon the hour of the meeting of our
      ways.' (WJ:367) and Finnish _Jo vuonna yheksäntenä_ 'Now in the ninth year'
      (The Kalevala, 1: 256).

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/