261Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: "Subjunctive"

    Oct 4 1:44 AM
      On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 10:03 PM, Ben Echols wrote:

      > Hans wrote:
      > H> If you want to see a working system with one conditional and two
      > H> subjunctives, look at Italian.
      > Another example is Spanish. It has one conditional verb tense and two
      > subjunctives.

      Ben, I'm not sure what you mean by "one conditional" and "two
      subjunctives". Spanish (like every West-Romanic language,
      including, e.g. French) has a category "subjunctive" and one
      "conditional". Both occur in two forms:

      Conditional 1) compraría
      Conditional 2) habría comprado

      Subjunctive 1) (que) compre
      Subjunctive 2) comprara or comprase (note: the first goes back to the
      Latin pluperfect and is also sometimes used as such, especially in
      South America).

      Germanic languages mostly employ the subjunctive for conditionals often
      with an extra auxiliary (e.g. English _would_ or German_würde_).
      So, for conditionals, where they are distinguished from subjunctives,
      we see periphrastic or agglutinative formations. Note that the Romanic
      languages' conditional is really a periphrastic formation (e.g.
      comparare habebam etc.).

      No explicit marker for the conditional is needed in Quenya. Cf.
      VT42:33, in the bottom most paragraph, starting from _lá karita i