259Numerals as Adjectives in Quenya

  • Petri Tikka
    Oct 3, 2002
      In Germanic languages numerals that are plural in sense pluralize the noun
      they describe, e.g. _one book_ and _two books_. In Finnish numerals that
      are plural in sense do not pluralize the noun they describe, they render
      the noun partitive, e.g. _yksi kirja_ "one book" and _kaksi kirjaa_ "two
      books". But what is the case in Quenya? Do numerals pluralize nouns in
      that language?

      A compound word _Otselen_ is glossed as "Seven Stars" in the Etymologies
      (V:379). It is listed under a root for the number "seven OT- (OTOS, OTOK),
      and it has the Quenya derivative of _otso_ "seven". _otselen_ is not plural
      in form; it does not have any apparent Quenya plural markers, neither _i_
      nor _r_. It can not possibly be conceived to mean "Seven Star", a single
      star marked by seven points for example, for it is associated with the
      constellation of Great Bear. Thus we have an example of a number word
      behaving as any other adjective does in Quenya when it is used as an
      attribute.

      The cases in the published corpus with numeral words and nouns together
      are rare; this is the only example of such in Quenya that I know of.
      The behaviour of numerals as adjectives is similar in Sindarin, cf.
      _edegil_ "Seven Stars" (V:369) and _Menegroth_ (XI:415). To me, it seems
      pretty obvious that numerals do not pluralize their noun in Quenya. That
      has been silently asumed before, but without real basis.

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic