252Apposition

  • Boris Shapiro
    Oct 1, 2002
      Aiya!

      What do you think is the exact meaning of the term "apposition" in
      that quote about the last declinable word ("...in the case of two
      declinable names in apposition only the last is declined", UT:317)?

      [Any decent English dictionary will give a sufficient definition. Here is one
      for the _American Heritage Dictionary_:

      "1. Grammar a. A construction in which a noun or noun phrase is placed with
      another as an explanatory equivalent, both having the same syntactic relation
      to the other elements in the sentence; for example, Copley and the painter in
      The painter Copley was born in Boston. b. The relationship between such nouns
      or noun phrases. 2. A placing side by side or next to each other." CFH]

      We know about examples (namely in "Oilima Markirya") of this rule
      being ignored (_raamainen elvie_), and I wonder could there be any
      regular reason for that? Perhaps "apposition" is the clue. While
      *_Elendil Voronda_ surely has two "names" in apposition, *_raamar
      elvie_ hasn't. If I understand the term correctly. I won't translate
      the Russian definition I use into English, but according to it
      simple noun + adjective combinations are not always cases of
      apposition. But that is also true of cases like _isilme ilcalasse_!

      [Inversions and other alterations of normal word order are among of the
      hallmarks of poetic diction. CFH]

      Namaarie! S.Y., Elenhil Laiquendo [Boris Shapiro]

      : sii man i yulma nin enquantuva? :
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic