238Re: [Lambengolmor] "before" and "after"

    Sep 10, 2002
      On Samstag, September 7, 2002, at 03:17 Uhr, Boris Shapiro [227] wrote:
      A few remarks:

      > Aiya!
      >
      > So it seems that we have three prepositions of similar meaning.
      >
      > _epe_
      > 1) "before" (*_A naa calima epe B_ - VT42:32, VT44:38)
      > 2) "after" (_epesse_ - XII:339)
      >
      > _apa_
      > 1) "fore-" (_apacenye_ - X:216)
      > 2) "after" (_Apanoonar_ - XI:387)
      > "behind" (_ap-pata_ - XI:387)
      >
      > _noo_
      > 1) "before" (_merin sa haryalye alasse noo vanyalye Ambarello_
      > - MS),
      > "ahead, in front" (PE12:66)
      > 2) "*next" (_Nootuile_ - XII:135),
      > "after (of time)" (PE12:66)

      <snip>

      > _apa_ "fore-" is spatial (to see what lies before one), _apa_
      > "after" (after-born) is temporal.

      <snip>

      As Carl already mentioned, _apa_ in _apacenye_ is hardly spatial. It
      does not mean "what I see [spatially] in front of me" but what I see in
      times ahead. I think there is no doubt it is temporal. So the use in
      Quenya is actually straight forward. _apa_ refers to events that take
      place in the future as related to the point of reference. The events
      that will lead to the justification of the name of "foresight" lie in
      the future at the time the name is given. Also, the birth of Men lies
      in the future at the moment of reference, (scil. the birth of the
      Elves).

      P.S. It might be interesting to note that Adunaic possesses
      prepositions that somewhat recall the Elvish ones phonetically. Cf.
      _ob-roth_ "fore-cutting" and _nad-roth_ "hind-track" [XII:376].