235Re: Internal or external history? (was: Bilabial V in Quenya)

  • Petri Tikka
    Sep 9, 2002
      --- In lambengolmor@y..., "gentlebeldin" <gentlebeldin@h...> wrote:

      > Are you speaking of internal or external history of Quenya? An ill-
      > defined (and undefinable, in my humble opinion) term like "mature
      > Quenya" makes it easy to confuse the two very different matters.

      I was speaking both of the internal and external devopment. "Mature
      Quenya" is a term based on Tolkien's assesment's that his early Qenya
      of the 1910s (from which the QL dates) was "very primitive", cf. XII:379.

      > The development EKTE > _ehte_ reflected in Etymologies was internal,
      > obviously.

      The development of KT to HT in Quenya was both an internal and external.

      > What does the acronym "Q" mean?

      The (Q) was intended to mean "Qenya Lexicon" published in PE#12. I can't
      quote from it, because I don't own it and it is out of print. I had to
      use Helge Fauskanger's "Index to the Qenya Lexicon" as my source:
      http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qlindex2.htm

      > > [...]
      > > I can not currently think of any other firm examples of change
      > > in the external history of the Quenya phonology
      >
      > Why "other"? You're explicitly speaking of external history only now.
      > Hans

      Because Carl F. Hostetter's question concerned external history, the
      reference to internal history was only a sidetrack, but still illuminating.

      > [ ... Petri's point stands: the combination KT was allowed in the Qenya
      > of the Lost Tales era (as in the three examples cited), but was not
      > retained in Quenya of the LotR era and later, where it "became" (in both
      > internal and external senses) HT. -- Patrick Wynne]

      It is funny to note that modern Finnish doesen't consider the combination
      KT contrary to its phonology, as is explicit in such loan words as
      _laktoosi_ "lactose" and _kaktus_ "cactus" used by common people. This
      strange development is quite new in Finnish. A hundred years ago those
      words would have been unpronouncable to lay people.

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic