232Re: Bilabial V in Quenya

  • Petri Tikka
    Sep 8, 2002
      --- In lambengolmor@y..., Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...> wrote:
      [...]
      > On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 06:10 AM, Petri Tikka wrote:
      >
      > > This change did not occur in the Valarin dialect.
      >
      > You mean "Vanyarin", surely?

      Yes, of course.

      > > The sound is unknown in Finnish, Tolkien's inspiration for Quenya.
      > > Through the years as he gradually perfected Quenya, he seems to have
      > > made the phonology of Quenya closer and closere to Finnish. This would
      > > be one example of it.
      >
      > The same change of _w_ to _v_ also occurred in Latin, another of
      > Tolkien's chief influences in creating Quenya.

      By the way, if it wasn't enitrely clear, the sound W has never occurred in
      the development of Finnish from proto-Finno-Ugrian. This is also, in
      another way, a bad example of the closening to Finnish over the years,
      since early Qenya seemed to have about as much Ws as mature Quenya. Both
      the early and late _Oilima Markirya_ seemed to have only a couple of words
      with W (MC:213-213, 221-222). But there are real examples of a nearing of
      Finnish and Quenya phonology in its external hisroy, cf. below.

      > Your observation about Tolkien making the phonology of Quenya closer to
      > that of Finnish over the years is intriguing. Could you give us some
      > other examples of this?
      >
      > Carl

      1. _findl_, _petl_, _tantl_, _nark_ (Q) and other words ending with
      multiple consonants are unacceptable in Finnish phonology and in later
      Quenya,cf. L:425.

      2. KT is a common consonant cluster in Q (e.g. _ekta-_, _mekta_ and
      _palukta_), but it is unacceptable in the phonology of both Finnish and
      mature Quenya. Earlier KT developed to HT in both languages, e.g. a
      body of _kaksi_ "two" _kaht-_ < *_kakte_ in Finnish and _ehte_ "spear"
      from EKTE in Quenya (V:355).

      3. There are some known "Qenya" words that begin with two successive
      vowels that would normally be diphtongs, but are inidcated as seperate
      vowels by _¨_, e.g. _kaïkta-_ (Q), _oïkta_ (VT40:8). This phenomenon is
      unknown in mature Quenya and Finnish, and is probably allowed in neither
      of them.

      I can not currently think of any other firm examples of change in the
      external history of the Quenya phonology that brought it closer to
      Finnish. I can neither think of anything that distanced it from Finnish
      phonology. As an example of how close their phonology is, L:425 states
      that Quenya permitted "the 'dentals' _n_, _l_, _r_, _s_, _t_ as final
      consonants". This is exactly the same in Finnish!

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/

      [Thanks, Petri! Carl]