161aorist stem (was _-Vndo)

    Jul 30, 2002
      Patrick Wynne wrote [in mess.157]:

      > So David's statement that "the aorist can, after all, be used as a
      > past tense" is to my knowledge untrue.

      Granted.

      However, I see no compelling reason for the assumption that _-Vnd_ is
      derived from the aorist stem (indeed from any temporal stem). The _i_
      doesn't have to have anything to do with the aorist. I still maintain
      the opinion that the notion of "past" is contained in the _n_.
      A form in _-Vndo_ doesn't show us whether the root syllable once was
      long since with the stress is on the second syllable, in CVCV:ndo, the
      first syllable can only, as far as I know, be short. So I see nothing that would
      exclude the interpretation as a past participle active.
      And even *if* the lengthening of the root vowel as seen in _rákina_ is
      indicative of the past, so should the _n_ be which, after all, is a
      prominent marker of the past (I don't think I've got to give examples
      for that). So whatever the _i_ between the root and the ending, it
      apparently doesn't contradict a "past" interpretation.

      David Kiltz

      [I wasn't denying a "past" interpretation of _rákina_! My whole
      point in noting that the long vowel in passive past participles
      such as _rákina_, _rúkina_ was also indicative of the Q. pa.t.
      was to refute your assertion that the stem in these forms
      could be aorist. -- Patrick Wynne]