158Re: -Vndo

  • gentlebeldin
    Jul 29, 2002
      Patrick Wynne commented:

      > [I'm not quite sure what point Hans is trying to make regarding
      > _ulunde_ 'flood' (V:396 s.v. ULU- 'pour, flow') here, but this noun
      > appears to be formed from the verb stem _ulu-_ 'flow' + a noun
      > ending _-nde_, just as the noun _arcande_ 'petition' (in the Sub
      > Tuum, VT44:8) is from _arca-_ 'pray' + _-nde_.

      Er... yes, the whole thread seems to be about verb stems + a noun
      ending _-ndo_. :-) My point is (agreeing with Ales Bican, mostly):
      The origin of the endings _-ndo_ and _-nde_ are the primitive endings
      _-no_ and _-ne_ (both vowels with macrons) for active/masculine and
      passive/feminine nouns, respectively. The strengthening -n- > -nd-
      does not happen after long vowels: _onoone_ "sister" from NO- (V:422,
      sorry, paperback), after diphtongs: _fuine_ "deep shadow" from PHUY-
      (V:426), after consonant: _verno_ "husband" from BES- (V:391).
      The endings _-no_ and _-on_ could both be related to NO-/ONO-
      (create, beget), that's why the latter is used also for genitives.
      The endings were appended to primitive verb forms (aorist stem or
      bare root), not to a past tense, imho.

      There are other pairs of such endings (masculine/active versus
      feminine/passive/abstract) _-mo_ vs. _-me_, and possibly _-so_ vs. _-
      se_. The latter two may be hard to recognize now in some cases,
      because of the phonological changes to _-ro_ and _-re_ after vocals.
      Other forms changed as well: _-me_ after final stem consonant "k"
      regularly changes: _-kme_ > _-ngwe_. Examples: *rakme > _rangwe_ (RAK-
      "reach", V:427), *tekme > _tengwa_ "letter" (TEK- "draw", V: 437).
      The forms with "o" mean active nouns (logical subjects of the
      corresponding verbs) and thus became agentive endings.