133Re: [Lambengolmor] -Vndo

    Jul 25, 2002
      I wrote [in post 115]:

      >> It is probably communis opinio that there is more than one suffix
      >> attested
      >> in Quenya that serves to form nomina agentis. The most prominent are
      >> _-mo_
      >> and -ar. Cf. such words as _Elentirmo_ "Star-watcher" in UT, p. 167 and
      >> 213 and for the second ending a word like _ohtar_ "warrior" in UT, p.
      >> 282
      >> or _Telcontar_ "Strider" in LotR IV, chapter 8.

      To which Frederik replied [in post 122]:

      > WJ:371 mentions the agental suffix _-ro_, shortened to -r in _Teler_,
      > _Avar_. "Other forms of this suffix were _roo_ added to stem, with or
      > without n-infixion; and _-rdo_ > _rd_." The -a- may belong to the verbal
      > stem in both *_ohta-ro_ and *_telconta-ro_.

      I second the idea that we deal rather with an older *-ro > -r than a
      suffix -ar here.
      Note, however, that the -r in _ohtar_ is not added to the verbal base.
      _ohta_ seems to be a strictly nominal derivation from the root KOT-
      (cf. The Etymologies, sub KOT-). A verbal derivative is given (ibid.) as
      _kosta-_ "quarrel". In The Lost Road (HoMe V) we also find _ohtakaare_
      "made war", which is plainly _ohta+kaare_, giving further evidence that
      _ohta_ is indeed just a noun.

      David Kiltz

      [N.B. -- Please give post numbers when citing previous discussions.
      Also, remember that page citations are to be given using the
      conventions employed in VT, i.e., WJ:371 should be given as
      XI:371. For a list of the proper bibliographic abbreviations, see
      post 3. -- Patrick Wynne]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic