125Re: [LDB] Elements or phrases?

  • Rich Alderson
    Jul 24, 2002
      On Wednesday, July 24, 2002, Boris Shapiro wrote:

      > In my view an object is a linguistically important element in of a given text
      > stored in LDB which possesses the required linguistic description. But there
      > are different types of objects: two words could be two individual lexical
      > objects, but at the same time they could be a sole syntactical object! And a
      > sentence could itself be a clause, a part of a complex sentense, thus being a
      > syntactical object, too! And all these objects viewed on different levels
      > should possess different descriptions.

      The following call for participation came out on the Linguist mailing list
      (issue 13.1964) on Monday; the statement of motivation seems appropriate at
      this stage of the discussion of Kai MacTane's database:

      Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:54:46 +0300
      From: "Kiril Simov" <kivs@...>
      Subject: Treebanks and Linguistic Theories 2002 - Call for Participation

      Treebanks and Linguistic Theories 2002
      20th and 21st September 2002, Sozopol, Bulgaria
      http://www.BulTreeBank.org/TLT2002.html

      Call for Participation

      Workshop motivation and aims:

      Treebanks are a language resource that provides annotations of natural
      languages at various levels of structure: at the word level, the phrase
      level, the sentence level, and sometimes also at the level of function-
      argument structure. Treebanks have become crucially important for the
      development of data-driven approaches to natural language processing, human
      language technologies, grammar extraction and linguistic research in
      general. There are a number of on-going projects on compilation of
      representative treebanks for languages that still lack them (Spanish,
      Bulgarian, Portuguese,Turkish) and a number of on-going projects on
      compilation of treebanks for specific purposes for languages that already
      have them (English).

      The practices of building syntactically processed corpora have proved that
      aiming at more detailed description of the data becomes more and more
      theory-dependent (Prague Dependency Treebank and other dependency-based
      treebanks as the Italian treebank (TUT) or the Turkish treebank (METU);
      Verbmobil HPSG Treebanks, Polish HPSG Treebank, Bulgarian HPSG-based
      Treebank etc.). Therefore the development of treebanks and formal
      linguistic theories need to be more tightly connected in order to ensure
      the necessary information flow between them.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic