1148Re: An experiment in translation

  • Harm J. Schelhaas
    May 24, 2014
      I had better rule out myself then, as I was press-ganged into reading out the Quenya
      text eleven years ago. I wasn’t allowed to retain a copy, and I wouldn’t be able to
      reproduce any of it from memory, but if I were to try and translate it back in
      earnest, with my very limited proficiency in Quenya, inevitably bits of subconcious
      memory would come up. So I’m also going to stay out of discussion on possible
      translations.

      Harm J. Schelhaas.

      On Sa, 24 mei, 2014 10:19 am lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 1. An experiment in translation
      > Posted by: Aelfwine@... endorendil
      > Date: Fri May 23, 2014 6:07 pm ((PDT))
      >

      > ....., the recent news:

      > that a recording of J.R.R. Tolkien’s remarks in Rotterdam in 1958 is being
      > prepared for publication, and particularly the detail that Tolkien recites some
      > Elvish verse in it, .....
      > ....., and the pre-publication of the English text/translation of
      > Tolkien’s verse, .....
      >

      > I would therefore like to invite any and all interested parties to submit to this
      > list (using this thread, please) their Quenya translation of the following English
      > text from Tolkien’s speech:

      > Two stipulations: I already know Tolkien’s own Quenya rendering of this (or at
      > any rate, a best guess at it as gleaned from listening to the unrestored,
      > 56-year-old reel-to-reel recording), so 1) I will of course not be participating in
      > the experiment myself; and 2) nor will any of those whom I know or am able to
      > discern also already know the Quenya rendering.

      > Carl Hostetter

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic