1008Correction to "Languages Invented by Tolkien"

    Jun 26, 2007
      I'd like to use this forum to correct an error I just noticed in my
      article "Languages Invented by Tolkien", in the recently published
      _J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia_ edited by Michael Drout (Routledge,
      2006). On p. 337 I wrote regarding the development of Quenya that:

      "Original _b_, _d_, and _g_, where not in contact with a nasal
      consonant, were weakened, lost, or both so that in Quenya these
      sounds occur only in the combinations _mb_, _nd_, and _ng_."

      This is of course wrong, as __d_ also occurs in combination with the
      liquids _l_ and _r_: _ld_, _rd_.

      Even allowing for the compression necessary in an encyclopedia
      article aiming only to hit the highlights, this was sloppy of me. I
      apologize for the error and for any confusion that might result.

      Carl