10RE: Initial _ly-_ and enclitics

  • Pavel Iosad
    May 30, 2002
      Hello,
      Petri Tikka wrote:

      > In message 14958 of Elvish Linguistics List Helge K.
      > Fauskanger tells us
      > of a a signature by Tolkien below which reads the words_nai
      > elen siluva lyenna_.

      I wonder what Carl has to say on the subject :-)

      [...]

      > The first reaction to a the word _lyenna_ would be that
      > initial palatalized
      > Ls would be allowed in Quenya. But I am not quite sure. It may be
      > that it is an enclitic of _elyenna_, the initial vowel
      > dissapearing because
      > of the final vowel in the preceeding word. _elye_ is attested
      > as emphatic
      > 2. person sg. pronoun in LR:398 and R:67.

      I disagree. Elision in Quenya only seems to appear in the cases of two
      identical vowels near the word border. There numerous examples of
      different vowels on word borders without elision. These include, for
      example, _ómaryo airetari-lírinen_ in LR:398. Besides, if elision were
      to happen at all, it would happen on the first vowel - _*siluv'
      elyenna_.

      > It would make sense for
      > the initial vowel to dissapear, since its only function is for the
      > strengthening
      > of the 2. person sg. pronoun.

      IMHO it wouldn't, since the prefixed vowel is generally the more
      important element in the structure of the emphatic pronoun. In fact it
      is the prefixed vowel which makes it recognizable as an emphatic
      pronoun.

      > But one may wonder why initial
      > palatalized
      > L wouldn't be allowed. Other initial palatalized consonants
      > are allowed.

      Then I do not see a reason for _#ly-_ to be forbidden. Phonotactical
      constraints seem to be generalized in languages. Dental palatalized
      sonorants are clearly allowed (vide initial _ny_). Ergo - _#ly-_ is a
      permissible initial.

      On the other hand, the stress in _hiruvalye_ falls on the penultimate
      syllable, which makes us wonder whether _ly_ is not indeed a cluster.
      This can however be explained if we suppose that _Namárië_ exemplifies
      Third Age Quenya where we at leats know for sure that _qu_ is a cluster
      phonetically, albeit not phonologically. There is no reason to assume
      that the same cannot be true of palatalized consonants.

      Pavel
      --
      Pavel Iosad pavel_iosad@...

      'I am a philologist, and thus a misunderstood man'
      --JRR Tolkien, _The Notion Club Papers_ms of Service.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic