Re: [lambengolmor-d] Cross posting policy

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2004
      I did indeed give careful consideration to the cross-posting of my
      message, and stand by it. The message had several different purposes,
      each of which was served by the various forums posted into. One was to
      bring up the strictly linguistic matters covered therein: that was
      served by Lambengolmor. Another was to correct the widely held and
      mistaken notion among would-be "speakers" of "Sindarin" that _ned_
      means 'in' and is attested as such: that was served by the postings to
      Elfling-d (as a gateway to Elfling readers), TolkLang, and the "Council
      of Elrond", the chief places where I've seen this and other, similar
      mistaken notions held as true, and where the contrary message would
      have the most chance of having the desired effect by reaching the eyes
      of those most in need of seeing it (sc., the "speakers" that congregate
      in those forums). The third purpose was to point out some obvious
      errors in Didier's dictionary: that was served by the posting to the
      Sindict group. Given these somewhat orthogonal purposes, posting to
      multiple groups that cater to those purposes seems perfectly reasonable
      to me, and I would do so again in similar circumstances. Reading
      anything beyond these purposes for cross-posting into my decision is
      unfounded.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |