Linux Demo Week

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 1999
      Good evening,

      A huge thanks and a round of applause to Dan Kegel from LULA for
      creating this list.

      I have been slowly working on our groups
      (www.linuxatlax.org)participation in the upcoming Linux Demo Day set
      for September 12-18, 1999 (see http://www.linuxdemo.org, actually it
      will cover the
      whole week). Our group has set aside the entire regular meeting for
      Sept. 11 for this
      event. I am slowly getting some support from various vendors (SuSE,
      Corel and Caldera)
      and hopefully others will follow (mostly getting us CD-ROM 's of
      distributions).

      Last I checked there were about 130 groups listed , seems a bit slim
      world wide but
      hopefully this event will pick up more steam soon. You might want to
      check out the site. What
      would be interesting might be organizing our first L.A.- "Meta LUG"
      meeting sometime during that week.

      Were would we hold such an event? Imagine if we could concentrate our
      efforts on
      installing and introducing the power and beauty of Linux to a huge
      audience of new
      users here in LA. I can just see the headlines ; "One million new Linux
      users in L.A."- well
      I have been know to get ahead of myself, but hec why not. I really like
      the idea of getting
      computers to kids who otherwise might not have the resources to have a
      computer at home.

      In fact that is my favorite hobby; convert old "useless" systems over
      with some Linux distribution
      then get them into the hands of eager young new computer users- most
      recently I have a new
      4 y/o user- it is amazing how far he has progressed from that first day
      3 months ago when he
      first choose his password, as he remarks "Linux is cool and I like the
      Penguin!" Now he routinely
      stays up every night way past his bedtime (10:30 PM last night!) and
      pokes around the system.
      This week he discovered the various screen savers to his great delight.
      Also last week I helped
      him and his 9 y/o sister (of course with their parents involvement)
      setup an account on lafn.org so that will be the next great challenge.

      I am still trying to create some defined schedule for the Demo Day , if
      any of you have ideas or want to
      get involved please contact me. I am a bit swamped right now with my
      work load but hope to block out
      more time this weekend to work on the project.

      regards,

      Ismet
      ibk@...