Re: Linux for Small Business SIG?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999
      chat about these and other issues ? Over at irc.dal.net #lilax, hang out
      and
      see who shows up this evening.

      Ismet

      Frank Keeney wrote:

      > From: Frank Keeney <frank@...>
      >
      > I'd be happy to assist with this. I have over a dozen small businesses in
      > So Cal connected to the Internet in this manner. IP_MASQ for internal
      > Internet Access (plus ipfwadm and ipchains), Squid for caching,
      > Sendmail/POP/IMAP for Windows mail clients, Apache and SAMBA. I have one
      > Linux server with almost 1200 domains in it's name server.
      >
      > Frank

      > Pasadena Networks, Inc. http://pasadena.net
      > Network Security Tel: 310-967-8175
      >
      > On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:
      >
      > > Ron Golan wrote:
      > > > At the last [LULA] installfest, Chris Spencer approached me and asked
      > > > about Linux consulting services for his business. He currently has a
      > > > Windows peer to peer network and wants to set up a Samba file server
      > > > and IP Masquerading. If I understood him correctly he also has about
      > > > 150 registered domains for which he [eventually plans to develop and
      > > > host] web pages. He asked that I post his contact info to the list
      > > > for anyone experienced in Samba, HTML and IP_MASQ.
      > > >
      > > > www.thespencercompany.com
      > > > 400 South Victory Boulevard
      > > > Burbank CA 91502
      > >
      > > I talked with Chris, and found out what he needs.
      > > He's currently using a Windows98 box to do Internet connection
      > > sharing and web hosting. He uses the Front Page Extensions.
      > > He's unhappy with the speed and reliability of Win98 for
      > > this use, and rather than spend the money to move to NT,
      > > he'd like to give Linux a shot. He also wants to learn how
      > > to administer the Linux system once it's up.
      > >
      > > He needs the Linux box to support IP Masq, Apache,
      > > virtual hosting (he eventually wants to handle 150 domains),
      > > SAMBA (so he can drag and drop updates from local win98 clients
      > > onto the web server), and the Front Page extensions (see
      > > http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/WPP/SERK/inunix.htm ).
      > >
      > > He's willing to let LULA do this as a group project; maybe
      > > this could be the beginnings of a "Small Business Server SIG".
      > > The payoff for LULA would be experience; as we learn how to
      > > do each step, we could update a web page with the recipe.
      > > The recipe would make it easier to do the next system anyone
      > > needed set up.
      > >
      > > Anyone interested? The SIG could be a cross-LUG SIG, too;
      > > maybe we could invite people from LILAX, SFVLUG, or SGVLUG to help
      > > form the SIG.
      > > - Dan
      > >

      > > Los Angeles Linux User Groups
      > http://www.lalugs.org
    • Charlie Blanchard
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999
        Whew! Dan, you moved fast on this one! I was planning to call Chris first thing
        Monday morning in a bid for StudioMediaServices to discuss this project...

        Oh well, we can discuss another time the grey area of our Lugs competing with
        members for projects, count me in on this one. <g>

        Before we go too far on this, I would suggest we have a clear understanding of
        why Chris is using FrontPage at all. And how best to meet his needs for what may
        be a rather large web management project. Is it possible that the web pages he
        will be creating can be built to advantage "on the fly" from a database using
        templates? This will give the advantage of not having to create a new page for
        each new client he represents - simply adding records to database files to add
        pages can easily be set up using Minivend or some other application.

        Of course this all depends on what is actually going to be done, and the only
        way to know that for sure is through a "needs assesment meeting." I used to use
        FrontPage for web site design and am very happy to no longer be stuck with it...

        --charlie

        On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:
        > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
        >
        > jal@... wrote:
        > > Great idea Dan! It sounded like a good gig, I just didn't feel
        > > I knew Samba or IPMASQ well enough to do it. This would give
        > > me an opportunity to learn that stuff, and for the LUGs to
        > > provide good service to the community.
        >
        > John Wenger <JohnWenger@...> wrote:
        > > This is a great idea.
        >
        > Frank Keeney wrote:
        > > I'd be happy to assist with this. I have over a dozen small businesses in
        > > So Cal connected to the Internet in this manner. IP_MASQ for internal
        > > Internet Access (plus ipfwadm and ipchains), Squid for caching,
        > > Sendmail/POP/IMAP for Windows mail clients, Apache and SAMBA. I have one
        > > Linux server with almost 1200 domains in it's name server.
        >
        > Cool! I've started a mailing list for the SIG; it's
        > lalugs-smallbiz@onelist.com. To subscribe, send a message to
        > lalugs-smallbiz-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > I've put up a web page
        > http://www.kegel.com/linux/fpext.html
        > with some info about the Front Page extensions for those
        > curious about how one gets started with them.
        > I just downloaded them for the first time this afternoon,
        > so caveat lector. (Not sure I really want to use them, but...)

        > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
        >
        > > Los Angeles Linux User Groups
        Charlie Blanchard
        direct: 626-447-3092

        Studio Media Services
        951 North Ontario St. Burbank, CA 91505
        818-840-8294
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999
          [Note: all further followups should probably go to

          Charlie Blanchard wrote:
          > Whew! Dan, you moved fast on this one! I was planning to call Chris first thing
          > Monday morning in a bid for StudioMediaServices to discuss this project...
          >
          > Oh well, we can discuss another time the grey area of our Lugs competing with
          > members for projects, count me in on this one. <g>

          :-) You may end up doing it after all - let's see how the SIG shapes up,
          and how Chris feels about it.

          > Before we go too far on this, I would suggest we have a clear understanding of
          > why Chris is using FrontPage at all. And how best to meet his needs for what may
          > be a rather large web management project. Is it possible that the web pages he
          > will be creating can be built to advantage "on the fly" from a database using
          > templates? This will give the advantage of not having to create a new page for
          > each new client he represents - simply adding records to database files to add
          > pages can easily be set up using Minivend or some other application.

          That's very possible.

          > Of course this all depends on what is actually going to be done, and the only
          > way to know that for sure is through a "needs assesment meeting." I used to use
          > FrontPage for web site design and am very happy to no longer be stuck with it...

          He only has a couple sites right now, and he was happy to use
          Front Page to generate all the content himself. At the moment,
          he just wants his server/gateway to not crash.

          I'd say, let's get started by giving him
          a drop-in replacement for what he's currently using.
          Once he's happy with that, we can then show him
          the kind of tools and procedures that make serious web
          site production work easier.

          Does that sound like a strategy?

          (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999
            Ok chat about this and other issues starting at 8 pm this evening?

            over at irc.dal.net #lilax