Re: [lula] Linux for Small Business SIG?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 1999
      John Wenger wrote:
      > > He needs the Linux box to support IP Masq, Apache,
      > > virtual hosting (he eventually wants to handle 150 domains),
      > > SAMBA (so he can drag and drop updates from local win98 clients
      > > onto the web server), and the Front Page extensions (see
      > > http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/WPP/SERK/inunix.htm ).
      >
      > Are these requirements fixed, or is there a possibility of improving
      > them, for increasing mutual benefits? Such as an improved solution
      > that is easier to implement and manage?

      I'm sure he's open to alternatives. He does like using Front Page
      on his local machine to edit the site, though, so switching might
      be kind of hard for him. Besides, we'll get quite a few requests
      for this feature, so we may as well learn what it really is before
      we pooh-pooh it.

      > Perhaps we could do the work for free for Chris, and Chris would feel
      > so grateful that he would feel motivated to make a large donation (not
      > tax deductible) to the putative LULA holding account, perhaps the
      > exact size as the value of the work, or perhaps only 10% of the value
      > of the work, but covering all of the expenses of the ESR Presentation.

      Let's find out how much Eric Raymond's trip expenses will be; then we can
      discuss this.

      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)