PC Week: "Linux deserves a place in your server room"

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 1999
      See http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2327820,00.html

      PC Week says Linux is ready to use for small businesses
      for some things - but it has some weaknesses, namely
      it's difficult to install, and it's difficult to administer
      Samba. See
      http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2336257,00.html

      Perhaps we could use that latter page as a guide to what
      we need to teach people to improve Linux's penetration into
      the machine room.
      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • Erik Hovland
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 1999
        > PC Week says Linux is ready to use for small businesses
        > for some things - but it has some weaknesses, namely
        > it's difficult to install, and it's difficult to administer
        > Samba. See
        > http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2336257,00.html
        >
        > Perhaps we could use that latter page as a guide to what
        > we need to teach people to improve Linux's penetration into
        > the machine room.

        I agree. We should take 'interesting' articles like this and use them to
        construct tutorials and demos that show how almost every point is wrong.
        A fair amount of that article is FUD. For example:
        "Sendmail is quite an undertaking to troubleshoot and configure properly,
        especially for a novice."

        First off the person writing the article says configuring M$ exchange is
        easy, I could drum up plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. But
        sendmail out of the box on redhat works pretty well for the novice and needs
        no troubleshooting or configuring.

        "Linux lacks the elevator-seeking, caching, prefetch, and other techniques
        found in NetWare or Windows."

        Samba is the thing that supposedly doesn't have this stuff. But it does and has
        had it since 1.9.x. Maybe not all the bells and whistles of netware but
        certainly oplocks and caching like NT has. I know, preaching to the choir.

        So getting something that proves all that wrong would be very helpful. Also it
        would be a great idea to add these demos and such to the installfest. Many
        of the people that strolled by our installfest didn't have a computer but they
        did want plenty of info on what linux could do.

        I offer to have a Samba 'booth' at this installfest coming up on 10/23 if
        anyone is interested in the help.

        Erik Hovland
        USC Linux User Group President
        http://sclug.usc.edu/~ehovland/
        GnuPG pulic key: http://sclug.usc.edu/~ehovland/ehovland.gpg
      • Gareth J. Greenaway
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 1999
          You've just giving me a positively wicked idea Erik :)
          The Joint Install fest that I had suggested, I wonder if it might be
          possible to have it be like a mini expo type thing, we could setup
          'booths' (probably just tables) around the room (where we, SCLUG, met
          would be good lots of room) and demo different stuff, show people what can
          be done, etc. etc. and maybe have a few areas on installing different
          stuff, such as samba. Whatcha guys think?

          Gareth J. Greenaway | gareth@...
          "Do you think you're God? God, Root, what is difference?"