Microsoft vs. Unix in the schools

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999
      An interesting read:
      http://207.178.22.52/articles/currents/007.html

      Perhaps one of our projects in the future could
      be to somehow assist universities to plan and set up
      Linux-based network servers? There ought to
      be some sort of educational outreach we can do...
      - Dan

      (Thanks to Angel Hernandez for posting this to the Lilax list)
      --
      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • juziel@xxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999
        Hey... why do you think I started the UCLA LUG? ;)
        The UNIX exposure CS majors get there is quite lacking...

        School isn't in session at UCLA yet... but it will be very
        soon. When it is, any help anyone wants to give... any
        talks or classes, etc. is definitely welcome.

        On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

        > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
        >
        > An interesting read:
        > http://207.178.22.52/articles/currents/007.html
        >
        > Perhaps one of our projects in the future could
        > be to somehow assist universities to plan and set up
        > Linux-based network servers? There ought to
        > be some sort of educational outreach we can do...
        > - Dan
        >
        > (Thanks to Angel Hernandez for posting this to the Lilax list)
        > --
        > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
        >
        > > Los Angeles Linux User Groups

        | Joshua Uziel (juziel@...) -- http://linux.ucla.edu/~uzi/ |
        |This message has been encrypted with ROT-26 encoding for your safety.|
      • juziel@xxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999

            > From: juziel@...
            >
            > Hey... why do you think I started the UCLA LUG? ;)
            > The UNIX exposure CS majors get there is quite lacking...

            I am surprised. My understanding and observations have been that
            OSS are integral to a CS education. Otherwise it would be like
            a medical student only studying the outer portions of the cadaver ;)

            How does one "study" using a Mac or Window system? I would imagine that
            the course work would fit nicely with Linux (i.e. programming, C, Perl
            etc..)

            > School isn't in session at UCLA yet... but it will be very
            > soon. When it is, any help anyone wants to give... any
            > talks or classes, etc. is definitely welcome.

            What ever our LUG can do please let me know. What resources I have are
            at your disposal (El Segundo library sessions were we meet is certainly
            open to you as well as the collective knowledge of our members- see
            www.linuxatlax.org).

            Our on-line services could do loads more and look forward to extending
            them beyond the groups mail setup-i.e. 24x7 chat areas, bulletin boards,
            more tutorial type
            monthly sessions, planning of more installation and networking programs
            etc.... and mostly more exposure and involvement with students of all
            ages.

            > On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:
            >
            > > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
            > >
            > > An interesting read:
            > > http://207.178.22.52/articles/currents/007.html
            > >
            > > Perhaps one of our projects in the future could
            > > be to somehow assist universities to plan and set up
            > > Linux-based network servers? There ought to
            > > be some sort of educational outreach we can do...
            > > - Dan

            Dan if you have any ideas for our groups server in extending it
            to cover some of these areas please let me know. We have a server sub-
            group and I am sure they would be interested in hearing about some of
            this.

            Certainly the Mexcian system has very far reaching implications
            http://luthien.nuclecu.unam.mx/~arturo/scholar/

            regards,